Tesoro Bentonite System

 

Location

Tesoro Alaska Petroleum Company
Kenai Refinery
Kenai, Alaska, USA

SIZE / CAPACITY
66 gallons per minute

SERVICES PROVIDED

  • Design & Supply of Control System
  • Supply/Fabrication of all Equipment
  • Assembly of all Equipment
  • Commissioning and Training

SUPPLIED EQUIPMENT

  • Bentonite Hydration Tank
  • Bentonite Agitation Pump
  • Mixing Tank
  • Bentonite Feed Pump
  • Paddle Mixer Discharge Pump
  • Mixing Tank Feed Pump
  • Sodium Silicate Feed Pump
  • Bentonite Colloidal Mixer
  • Paddle Mixer

Tesoro Petroleum is an oil exploration and development company based in Alaska with its only oil refinery located south of Anchorage, near Kenai.

Located on the beautiful Kenai peninsula, home to some of the greatest sports fishing in the world, Kenai over-looks Cook Inlet with its marvelous view of mountain peaks, glaciers and volcanoes.

Also seen offshore in Cook Inlet, are oil drilling rigs which supply Tesoro with approximately 20% of its crude oil. The remaining 80% is delivered via pipeline from Alaska’s famed North Slope.

Team Mixing Technologies was successful in its bid to design, build, and commission a prototype bentonite slurry batching system. This plant was to produce various bentonite (clay) slurries used to control soil permeation within containment dikes surrounding the storage tanks within the refinery tank farm.

This plant utilized a high shear colloidal mixer for blending water and bentonite, prior to the bentonite hydration stage. Other chemicals were introduced in either powder or liquid form into two other mixers before the final slurry was pumped out for soil permeation. TMT set up the plant and trained personnel on-site within the tank farm area of the refinery, working under very stringent conditions.